LINES OF THE DAY

". . . But the past does not exist independently from the present. Indeed, the past is only past because there is a present, just as I can point to something over there only because I am here. But nothing is inherently over there or here. In that sense, the past has no content. The past -- or more accurately, pastness -- is a position. Thus, in no way can we identify the past as past." p. 15

". . . But we may want to keep in mind that deeds and words are not as distinguishable as often we presume. History does not belong only to its narrators, professional or amateur. While some of us debate what history is or was, others take it into their own hands." p. 153

Silencing the Past: Power and the Production of History (1995) by Michel-Rolph Trouillot

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Weather Confuses Jazzy Decisions

Such as what shall I wear to the Jazz Standard tonight? We're going to the late show, in order to, at their invitation, hang out with the artists afterwards. Weather tonight is predicted to be "a wintery mix of snow, sleet and rain late." The word that matters here is "late." What is meant by "late tonight?" Before midnight? After midnight? This really matters as to my footgear. My weather boots or a pair of the sexy ones?

I've been looking forward to this for quite a while: Galician bagpipes!

" Cristina Pato & The Migrations Band in association with the Barcelona Jazz Festival
For the past fifteen years, Cristina Pato has been forging new creative paths for the Gaita or Galician bagpipe. In 1998, she became the first female Gaita player to release a solo album, followed by three more albums including the self produced The Galician Connection (2010). She’s engaged in creative collaboration with Yo-Yo Ma & the Silk Road Ensemble, the Chieftains, and the Chicago Symphony, fusing strains of Latin music, jazz, pop and contemporary music to bring her unique vision to life. . This Jazz Standard special event commemorates the release of Cristina Pato’s new Sunnyside album, Migrations, and is presented in association with the Barcelona Jazz Festival.

“This album is my personal and musical migration from the path I was supposed to follow,” says the artist, “and celebrates all the things that helped me to create my own way.” 

If I get through to Thursday without the flu, then I'll be somewhat protected, if that statement about partial protection after 5 days is true. I remain baffled though as to what a partial protection against flu could possibly be. Either you're susceptible to the virus or you are not, right?

No comments: