LINES OF THE DAY

". . . But the past does not exist independently from the present. Indeed, the past is only past because there is a present, just as I can point to something over there only because I am here. But nothing is inherently over there or here. In that sense, the past has no content. The past -- or more accurately, pastness -- is a position. Thus, in no way can we identify the past as past." p. 15

". . . But we may want to keep in mind that deeds and words are not as distinguishable as often we presume. History does not belong only to its narrators, professional or amateur. While some of us debate what history is or was, others take it into their own hands." p. 153

Silencing the Past: Power and the Production of History (1995) by Michel-Rolph Trouillot

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year For Us All!

 sincerely hope for a happy, productive and most of all healthy 2013 for Everyone, but particularly for all of us who suffered significant unpleasantnesses in 2012. Speaking, alas, from very up close and personal experience, a run of poor years is really rough.

In the meantime, el V has requested my essay to be sent to him for the pdf today. However, it is not finished, considering I was only well enough to start working on it Sunday. I wasn't able to finish it yesterday as el V decreed we had three parties to go to, beginning at 8 PM, so thus we didn't get to bed until after three. Today, el V has decreed I am going with him right now uptown to the annual New Year's Day Gumbo party hosted by Historian-Buddy of both New York City and New Orleans (a native of NO, but lives now in NYC). So, I am baffled as to how I shall fulfill both these decrees.

Fortunately, when one's spouse is also one's editor, there remains much wiggle room for deadlines. It's called 'pull' in some quarters, nepotism in others, and in other others, even favoritism. I call it, "Which do you want more? My company or my essay?" He always goes for the "my company."

Boy, is it cold here! And we're glad, very glad of that. One has justified fears that winter as we understand winter is forever a thing of the past.

Edited to Add: Back home from Malcom X Blvd. and a most splendid NY Day's party of the most splendid conversation, music, eating and drinking.  The party is moving into second shift as we left to come home and try to do some work.  Equally interesting people were just arriving as previous interesting people began leaving.

Also -- colder than before.  Which cheers me, just like everytime I get way uptown I feel cheered by the sight of the open skies, boulevards and streets, and where there are no tourists, just people, baby, people who live there.

No comments: