LINES OF THE DAY

". . . But the past does not exist independently from the present. Indeed, the past is only past because there is a present, just as I can point to something over there only because I am here. But nothing is inherently over there or here. In that sense, the past has no content. The past -- or more accurately, pastness -- is a position. Thus, in no way can we identify the past as past." p. 15

". . . But we may want to keep in mind that deeds and words are not as distinguishable as often we presume. History does not belong only to its narrators, professional or amateur. While some of us debate what history is or was, others take it into their own hands." p. 153

Silencing the Past: Power and the Production of History (1995) by Michel-Rolph Trouillot

Saturday, April 4, 2020

I Shall Be Released (at least by exercise)!

     . . . . I had a lot of plans for yesterday because nothing for Zooming needed to be worked out for the students, no laundry needed to be done, and grocery shopping not again until Wednesday probably.  So I wanted us to start some work in here.

We both ... just crashed.  We took a time-out day, which we both needed.  It's been non-stop survival and work mode for a whole month already, without a breather.

So, instead -- Yesterday became ... 

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.  

I gave myself a pedicure, did about a quarter of the usual work-out, took full bath and washed hair. The last time I did all these things one after another like this was March 6th, a Sunday.

The relief from being on my knees, spine and face and arms stretched out as far as possible on the mat – it sounded as if I had an orgasm. Not to mention the release of physical tension. Upright -- how good it felt to do the combo very light weights and cardio-respiratory and dance moves, that all use a lot of my core muscles.

My entire body went limp and turned into a warm puddle, and my brain shut off. The endorphins kicked in so strongly from the release of weeks of physical tension. I was asleep by 11 PM for the whole night.  I couldn't even make through the John Quincy Adams's Diaries reading, in which he is predicting the War of the Rebellion in 1819, and so is Henry Clay and Calhoun and others (this is while JQ is Secretary of State to Pres. Monroe).

I cannot begin to describe the difference in my mental and physical state since the workout. I'm so used to doing this, it's normal! I did hear music instead of my audio book, but that can be remedied I just didn't have one up and ready to go yesterday, having let all that lapse in the non-stop survival mode. And yah, I feel it in the muscles this AM. It's been a whole month without working out at all, and hardly walking -- to the supermarket and back. But if I get back to my regular schedule I'll be back up to where I was pretty quickly.

El V's going to start work too, his neck is such a wreck, and he needs to do something since we can’t go out due to crowding and no masks. I will have to coach.

It's essential for we must stay in as completely as possible for at least another month.  Governor Cuomo predicted today it will be at least another two weeks before the curve begins to flatten.

As well, yesterday, wonderful LA cannabis entrepreneur / chemist / amiga package came in, full of incredible goodies including the 1thc-20cbd tincture. I like the tabs better, but holy cow! Recreational for him, so to speak, medical for me, plus lots of balms and teas and other things.

Last night made London Broil, carrots and mashed for dinner. It wasn't that cold, but it was raining. Also made a huge amount of rice yesterday, always good for lunches and snacks.

Today I'm making a pot of black beans. Among the flavorings are the leftover liquids and meat from last week's pork roast.  The excellent left-over lentil soup of earlier this week made lunch -- and there's still another serving or so left, which is great.

Tonight it is Saturday so it will be pasta and jazz per usual.  Just not the wine.  Still not feeling wine for whatever reasons.

No comments: