LINES OF THE DAY

". . . But the past does not exist independently from the present. Indeed, the past is only past because there is a present, just as I can point to something over there only because I am here. But nothing is inherently over there or here. In that sense, the past has no content. The past -- or more accurately, pastness -- is a position. Thus, in no way can we identify the past as past." p. 15

". . . But we may want to keep in mind that deeds and words are not as distinguishable as often we presume. History does not belong only to its narrators, professional or amateur. While some of us debate what history is or was, others take it into their own hands." p. 153

Silencing the Past: Power and the Production of History (1995) by Michel-Rolph Trouillot

Friday, January 22, 2016

Just In Time For the Weekend Storm

The library notified me this AM that three of my holds were available for pick-up today, just in time to be trapped inside for a long weekend of snow, wind and maybe also ice and sleet and rain, beginning for at 4 AM Saturday.  If the storm effects that arrive here (it's going to be much worse further south) turn out as bad as They Say the potential is, we're supposed to stay inside for as long as possible, during the storm and the initial clean-up after.  Honestly, after having lost so much time traveling, the holidays, then traveling, then the long holiday weekend  and now another 3 - 4 day weekend due to weather, I could really do without this hiatus.

However, we're ready with all we need to be ready with.





Plus, now, three books I've been looking forward to reading: Cornwell's latest Saxon Chronicles, Warriors of the Storm (so appropriate a title for this weekend!), the biography of a Victorian marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Disraeli, by Daisy Hay, and Robert Harris's concluding fictionalization of his three volume life of Cicero, Dictator.



Additionally I have a dvd of a 1997 BBC production of Wilkie Collins's novel, The Woman in White.

Mostly though I'll be working on my 2015 Best Reading Round-up.



All I know so far is that Life On The Mississippi, and, Isabella: Warrior Queen, are on it. There are more, of course, but I haven't been able to get myself to go through my reading and watching journal for 2015 yet. It's a lot slimmer with commentary than previous years -- reading almost solely for The American Slave Coast, and mostly not reading at all,  in the final quarter of 2015.

As well, we'll  have to devote some time in the next two days getting our 3 -4 months calendar in order. We have some dates already scheduled, including here in townL the CUNY Grad Center, a bookstore in Harlem, The Museum of the Moving Image, and the Jumel Mansion. We've got other dates in Boston, Kentucky, Tennessee and Georgia -- and New Orleans again -- so far.

I guess we'll stay occupied, even if we feel trapped.

At least this evening we get to to attend the reception - event at the Metropolitan Museum of Art around African art.  Since the storm doesn't start until after midnight there was no need to cancel this.  I'm so glad since it means I'll get to see the exhibit of Ancient Egyptian Art: The Middle Kingdom, that closes on Sunday. I can use my Christmas camera some more.


No comments: