LINES OF THE DAY

". . . But the past does not exist independently from the present. Indeed, the past is only past because there is a present, just as I can point to something over there only because I am here. But nothing is inherently over there or here. In that sense, the past has no content. The past -- or more accurately, pastness -- is a position. Thus, in no way can we identify the past as past." p. 15

". . . But we may want to keep in mind that deeds and words are not as distinguishable as often we presume. History does not belong only to its narrators, professional or amateur. While some of us debate what history is or was, others take it into their own hands." p. 153

Silencing the Past: Power and the Production of History (1995) by Michel-Rolph Trouillot

Saturday, July 7, 2012

NPR Harkeness Interview Yesterday -*All Things Considered*

It came on late in in All Things Considered while I was drying my hair in preparation for meeting my friend CC for dinner and another viewing of Brave. :)

I had wondered why Neda Ulaby was interviewing me when she could be interviewing Harkness. Well, she did interview Harkness, almost exclusively, plus a bit from a reading by Harkness reading from Discovery, I believe -- I was listening over the hairdryer, rushing to make the date. Harkness was perfectly NPR pitched, too. Gads, Ulaby is good at what she does.

They didn't give much time to Shadow of Night, which is what we talked about mostly in the studio. I'm in it with only a couple of lines. Which is all to the good, because my voice is crackly from the coughing caused by the pollution and pollen and I was so conscious of this during entire 40 + minute session at the studio.

For what it's worth, if you want to check it out, which you might if you like these books, you can read the transcript, or hear the segment, here.

Ned received e-mail in Angola about it from people spread around the country who had heard it. The wonders of our world. :)

No comments: