LINES OF THE DAY

". . . But the past does not exist independently from the present. Indeed, the past is only past because there is a present, just as I can point to something over there only because I am here. But nothing is inherently over there or here. In that sense, the past has no content. The past -- or more accurately, pastness -- is a position. Thus, in no way can we identify the past as past." p. 15

". . . But we may want to keep in mind that deeds and words are not as distinguishable as often we presume. History does not belong only to its narrators, professional or amateur. While some of us debate what history is or was, others take it into their own hands." p. 153

Silencing the Past: Power and the Production of History (1995) by Michel-Rolph Trouillot

Monday, December 19, 2011

Who Shops More Efficiently Than Me?

I did the shopping for three celebratory meals entirely between 11 AM and 3 PM -- with a cold too!

I still have all the vegetables and some herbs and spices to get.  I am not making turkey gravy for I've not got the time.  I can tranport the cooked turkey with no trouble, i.e. el V carries it in its roaster, but not gravy.  So I have turkey gravy on order from Gourmet Garage, which I can get when I pick up the last things.

Oddly there's not a bag of Yukon Gold potatoes to be found anywhere.  You can buy Yukon Golds in emporiums like Gourmet Garage, but by the lb., not in a bag.

Well, I am waiting for the wine to be delivered too, since I couldn't bring it all home myself.  But it's been chosen and paid for, and will arrive tomorrow.

This is excellent because I can tell I will feel worse tomorrow.  Fortunately the weather was good today!

Ooooo, this Christmas Eve moussaka is going to be good.  All those Greek ingredients from the feta to the side olives -- are far less expensive than they were not long ago.  Is this because of their national economic catastrophe?

But before I wear out my arm patting myself on the back -- I haven't done gifts or Christmas cards yet.  But no more today, as I feel quite ill and my back is screaming from all this carrying.  Nevertheless I feel emotionally happy because now I can feel personally Christmassy -- we r doin' it rite & in time.  :)  Tomorrow I'll do cards. Then I'll really feel Christmassy.  The main thing is to not wear out the holiday spirit before the holidays are here.  Las Vidas Perfectas really helped with that this year, taking up all the oxygen until today.  Yesterday was recuping from that, especially for el V -- got an extension for submitting a very important document until 11:59 tonight, so that's what he's working on all day!

No comments: