LINES OF THE DAY

". . . But the past does not exist independently from the present. Indeed, the past is only past because there is a present, just as I can point to something over there only because I am here. But nothing is inherently over there or here. In that sense, the past has no content. The past -- or more accurately, pastness -- is a position. Thus, in no way can we identify the past as past." p. 15

". . . But we may want to keep in mind that deeds and words are not as distinguishable as often we presume. History does not belong only to its narrators, professional or amateur. While some of us debate what history is or was, others take it into their own hands." p. 153

Silencing the Past: Power and the Production of History (1995) by Michel-Rolph Trouillot

Monday, April 18, 2011

It's Here Again

C'town again. It's like Neverlandia. Other than the friends here, here just goes poof when we leave it. I can't believe it exists -- it's a vaporous memory of loveliness and allergies.  So many varieties of trees with pinkish, pink and fuschia colored flowers!  So many trees and shrubs with flowering reds.  And I do not know what they are, mostly.
Well, we are here again after the NYC weekend. A cherry tree in my backyard has blossomed. I had no idea I had a cherry tree. And tulips also. I'm not so good with trees and flowers that didn't grow in the Red River Valley. Then in New Mexico it was a desert and arid mountain environment, so that was all something else. In NYC, it's all public what we see growing in Manhattan -- in parks, pocket parks, in front of businesses and office towers, on the avenue berms, whether flowers or trees. So they are industrially familiar.

What I don't have in my backyard is lilacs, but they're breaking out where there are lilacs, and I'm so glad. Spring to me always still means Iris and Lilacs. Even though this year I got to have a spring in a place where violets grow naturally, without prodding.

4 more weeks, and it's back to NYC for good.

No comments: