LINES OF THE DAY

". . . But the past does not exist independently from the present. Indeed, the past is only past because there is a present, just as I can point to something over there only because I am here. But nothing is inherently over there or here. In that sense, the past has no content. The past -- or more accurately, pastness -- is a position. Thus, in no way can we identify the past as past." p. 15

". . . But we may want to keep in mind that deeds and words are not as distinguishable as often we presume. History does not belong only to its narrators, professional or amateur. While some of us debate what history is or was, others take it into their own hands." p. 153

Silencing the Past: Power and the Production of History (1995) by Michel-Rolph Trouillot

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Big Sam's Funky Nation

Tonight, at le Poisson Rouge.

Mardi Gras's comin', babee!

I'm so looking forward to being in New Orleans next week.

2 comments:

K. said...

Looooove Big Sam! I wish someone who knows more about funk than I do would write about the nola funk scene. That blend funk + brass band + jazz + rock is unique and wonderful. Kind of like nola itself.

Foxessa said...

I suppose you could ask Vaquero to do it. Or maybe Larry Blumenfeld. But then he's really all about jazz ....

Vaquero though, he's about it all. :)

Big Sam's lost so much weight, he a very haut guy now.

We had a very good time. Our co-prof and several students showed up too.

Vaquero and I were given access to the VIP section -- Big Sam's manager phoned and informed V. specifically she was doing this in order that I could be there (the back problems make it very hard for me to go to most venues). The seating in the VIP section was all squishy, which in its own way is as painful as standing, so the club got me a chair, which when V. put his coat on it in such a way made it possible for me be there through Bonerama first, and then Big Sam. So I could sit, but could get up and dance too, which is always the way dancing works to make healing for me.

Bonerama's Craig Klein was looking forward to meeting V. because of Cuba and Its Music, so they had a very nice chin-chin. He used to play at last night's venue when it was the Village Gate, in the Harry Connick Big Band. So when MB of Piety St. Studio gave him a copy of the book, he splahed.

Love, C.