LINES OF THE DAY

". . . But the past does not exist independently from the present. Indeed, the past is only past because there is a present, just as I can point to something over there only because I am here. But nothing is inherently over there or here. In that sense, the past has no content. The past -- or more accurately, pastness -- is a position. Thus, in no way can we identify the past as past." p. 15

". . . But we may want to keep in mind that deeds and words are not as distinguishable as often we presume. History does not belong only to its narrators, professional or amateur. While some of us debate what history is or was, others take it into their own hands." p. 153

Silencing the Past: Power and the Production of History (1995) by Michel-Rolph Trouillot

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Who Were Those People???????

Different Place.

Different Time.

Different Face.

Someone from long ago has gone digging through his photos and this is among what he found, thus scanned and sent on.  I don't even recall him being in Albuquerque.  Bad me.

But I really am wearing something on my bottom -- our cutoffs in New Mexico were extremely cut-off, so to speak. I think we invented coochie cutters in the desert before they showed up in rap vocabulary and wardrobe.


Kinda spooky, remembering.  How I had to change everything when I moved to NYC. Most of all, I had to accept that I needed to wear clothes. And cosmetics. All kinds of things that we who lived in the land of sun and swamp coolers didn't need to bother our tanned bodies with.
 
That past thang? Time, history, arrow time, wheel time. These days it just keeps coming up present, yanno?
 

4 comments:

T. said...

You guys are looking so groovy here!

Foxessa said...

I want those sox.

Love, c.

K. said...

Were we ever that young?!

Foxessa said...

K -- I'm so glad one of your sons is home for the holidays.

Enjoy, you all.

Love, C.