LINES OF THE DAY

". . . But the past does not exist independently from the present. Indeed, the past is only past because there is a present, just as I can point to something over there only because I am here. But nothing is inherently over there or here. In that sense, the past has no content. The past -- or more accurately, pastness -- is a position. Thus, in no way can we identify the past as past." p. 15

". . . But we may want to keep in mind that deeds and words are not as distinguishable as often we presume. History does not belong only to its narrators, professional or amateur. While some of us debate what history is or was, others take it into their own hands." p. 153

Silencing the Past: Power and the Production of History (1995) by Michel-Rolph Trouillot

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Sometimes I Don't Like My Work

Back reading Arlene Croce pieces in The New Yorker, attempting to properly ascertain just how much of her political agenda penetrated her critical point of view, and how she utilized her position as dance critic to push her political agenda.

Since she concentrated on pre-Russian Revolution classical ballet, it seems she could present many reactionary agendas 'between the lines.' But it's difficult to judge that, when I bring such an opposite perspective to what I'm reading. That's why I got drafted to do this, because I know the ballet vocabulary, I have watched many of the ballets, I know ballet history and I love ballet, whereas Vaquero and the others don't. But Croce is becoming an increasingly unpleasant writer to spend time with, as her nasty world view seeps through an ever-thinner mask.

As well, this week is hard. Our New Orleans friends, both those who were relatively unscathed materially (but that doesn't exclude trauma) and have been able to return and those who lost everything and cannot return, are hurting so badly. Or else they are pretending that they've moved on, when with every e-mail, every word their grief and trauma appears.

So, I get to watch Fred Astaire and Errol Flynn movies this week, every night around dinner time. Last night I saw The Master of Ballantrae. Tonight it shall be Robin Hood. The Story of Irene and Vernon Castle, Virginia City, and Birth of Blues are on the schedule. So is The Outlaw. No, that's neither Flynn nor Astaire, but it is Jane Russell.

Do you think anyone at the demCon will mention New Orleans and the shameful neglect and denial meted out to her citizens?

1 comment:

K. said...

I love Errol Flynn movies. Greatly underrated as an actor, IMHO. Check out "Dawn Patrol" and "Gentleman Jim."

One of my favorite cult movies has Jane Russell opposite Robert Mitchum as "His Kind Of Woman."