LINES OF THE DAY

". . . But the past does not exist independently from the present. Indeed, the past is only past because there is a present, just as I can point to something over there only because I am here. But nothing is inherently over there or here. In that sense, the past has no content. The past -- or more accurately, pastness -- is a position. Thus, in no way can we identify the past as past." p. 15

". . . But we may want to keep in mind that deeds and words are not as distinguishable as often we presume. History does not belong only to its narrators, professional or amateur. While some of us debate what history is or was, others take it into their own hands." p. 153

Silencing the Past: Power and the Production of History (1995) by Michel-Rolph Trouillot

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Broke - Offline

Broke a chunk of elbow radial head early Wednesday evening.

Didn't think I'd broken anything in the fall then, but by the early Thursday AM hours knew I had to seek medical attention.

After scream inducing pain events such as standing up, exams  and ex-rays, it was confirmed.  Worse the break is my right elbosw, and I am a righty.  My left got broken up long ago and so has always been the weaker.  With my back condition in the mix too, well, as one of the very nice doctors, who surely is in pre-K, right? so young is he, stated after looking at the elbow ex rays, "It's official.  You are in very great pain."

It easily could have been much worse; no cast, no surgery. just a sling.  I didn't land on my back, or break a knee or hip.  (Doctors also declared my bones in really good condition, considering my age and all the damaged that has been done to my skeleton. -- the results of diet, vitamins and working out for years with light weights.)  I'm expected to heal relatively quickly.  The pain should recede in a few days.  I have excellent meds. I am expected to start using my fingers, hand, wrist, and shoulder almost immediately, and start moving the elbow in a couple of days to prevent freezing.

The sort of person I am I overdid it yesterday, as well as taking less than the   number of alloted pill for a 24-hour period.  These things are damaging to kidneys and liver, so I am trying to make do with less.  But that was a mistake I won't make today.

Very unfair to el V to have me out of commission when I must be at the plate to make revisions by deadline, and o! so many things I do all the time.  But I can't even lower or raise my office chair myself, wash my hair, cook -- no knives! -- shop -- you name it, I cannot do it.  Ironically the thing I can still do a little of is keyboard.  But that isn't the same as typing.

May I now take a moment to praise with very great praise the wonderful el V?  His concern, his love, his behavior, his helpfullness, his kindness, his sense of humor are unfailing.  I never did anything to deserve the devotion of someone as wonderful as he is.  I cannot express the scope of my appreciation and gratitude.

Now I've overdone it again.

2 comments:

Sarah Johnson said...

How terrible - that sounds very painful and very frustrating. Best wishes for a fast and full recovery.

Foxessa said...

Thank you -- all wishes for rapid healing are more than appreciated.

Took off the sling today, per advice. At least for a while. will be wearing it in bed for quite some time to come. But want that right hand back in commission asap!

Love, C.