LINES OF THE DAY

". . . But the past does not exist independently from the present. Indeed, the past is only past because there is a present, just as I can point to something over there only because I am here. But nothing is inherently over there or here. In that sense, the past has no content. The past -- or more accurately, pastness -- is a position. Thus, in no way can we identify the past as past." p. 15

". . . But we may want to keep in mind that deeds and words are not as distinguishable as often we presume. History does not belong only to its narrators, professional or amateur. While some of us debate what history is or was, others take it into their own hands." p. 153

Silencing the Past: Power and the Production of History (1995) by Michel-Rolph Trouillot

Sunday, December 1, 2013

My Fair Lady Goes Latin -- Tito Puente 1964 Album

I had never seen the film version of My Fair Lady until, on one of my last Thanksgivings in Albuquerque, it seemed to run for hours on television. I was transfixed. Ever since I've associated My Fair Lady with this holiday weekend.

But I don't like to watch it any longer, though I still adore the costumes and sets. But you can't look at the clothes and sets without Audrey Hepburn. Some time ago the wide eyed innocent-but-O-so-sophisticated persona of Hepburn's became progressively less tolerable, until watching her on screen in anything made my teeth hurt from the faux sugar.  Odd this happening,  since I adored Hepburn's persona for years -- but now, I don't.

I mentioned this the other day to el V.  So now there's something else that is equally wonderful to whatever My Fair Lady was: Tito Puente's 1964 album, My Fair Lady Goes Latin.


It is really good, but then is Tito Puente and his big band ever anything but really good?  Some of the My Fair Lady songs were originally composed with a latin tinge (which I now can  recognize when I hear them, but back then -- no), but he makes the songs even more latin, with quite a bit more than a soupçon of jazz arrangement, yet they are always the songs you have known and loved.

A Puerto Rican adaption production of My Fair Lady could compete with no trouble in the production, setting and costume sweepstakes, and certainly vocalists (Audrey Hepburn lipsynched).  I'd love to see one.  Imagine: Danny Rivera playing Professor Higgins!  This would be so great.


No comments: