LINES OF THE DAY

". . . But the past does not exist independently from the present. Indeed, the past is only past because there is a present, just as I can point to something over there only because I am here. But nothing is inherently over there or here. In that sense, the past has no content. The past -- or more accurately, pastness -- is a position. Thus, in no way can we identify the past as past." p. 15

". . . But we may want to keep in mind that deeds and words are not as distinguishable as often we presume. History does not belong only to its narrators, professional or amateur. While some of us debate what history is or was, others take it into their own hands." p. 153

Silencing the Past: Power and the Production of History (1995) by Michel-Rolph Trouillot

Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Cancelled!

 . . . . About an hour ago el V says, "Let's go and go to Lupe's and have burritos. But first send me your itinerary so I can tell B when to pick you up at JFK on your return." 

I sit down at the computer where I have not been all day as I was out shopping for the Cubans and to get me supplies laid in for when I arrive, such as the box milk that can stay on the shelf, so I don't have to race out the night of the 14th or the morning of the 15th. And who knows what the weather will be? 



Inbox immediately gets New Mail, and it's JetBlue with a big CANCELED in the subject line. 

We are all packed. I did all the packing on Monday and Tuesday! I felt so free and pleased! And the idea of missing this weather mess thrilled me no end.

Now what? 

We've been on hold with JetBlue ever since the message arrived and the web site seems to have gone dysfunctional.

Ah, he just got picked up by a real person -- rebooking for Friday now.  O lordessa, this is taking forever as it is a lot of people he has to rebook.



O dear.  I will miss the La Tropical show and the viewing of Havana over a tropical drink while in the Hotel Nacional's garden -- one of my favorite places.

So, I am making burritos at home while el V wrangles all the east coast travelers' new bookings.

Also had to go out to get supplies, including milk for tomorrow, as we were leaving so early tomorrow, straight into the car service and planned to have breakfast at JFK. The stores are packed with people getting ready for the storm. I got some of the last milk -- certainly the last non-fat milk still on the shelf. Maybe they have more in the basement.

Ah -- the rice is cooked. The tortillas, which I had put in the freezer, naturally, are nearly unthawed.

UPDATES:  Indeed, rebooked, but -- rebooked all over the place. Some of us going straight from JFK to Jose Marti. Others to Fort Lauderdale first. But Ned's got their visas. 

One traveler isn't getting a flight until Saturday! We were supposed to be on the road by then, out of Havana.

No comments: