LINES OF THE DAY

". . . But the past does not exist independently from the present. Indeed, the past is only past because there is a present, just as I can point to something over there only because I am here. But nothing is inherently over there or here. In that sense, the past has no content. The past -- or more accurately, pastness -- is a position. Thus, in no way can we identify the past as past." p. 15

". . . But we may want to keep in mind that deeds and words are not as distinguishable as often we presume. History does not belong only to its narrators, professional or amateur. While some of us debate what history is or was, others take it into their own hands." p. 153

Silencing the Past: Power and the Production of History (1995) by Michel-Rolph Trouillot

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

*White Collar* Season 3, Disc 1

Season 3 released on dvd today, and the first disc duly arrived in my mailbox from netflix. That doesn't happen very much these days as netflix isn't servicing me the way it used to. But perhaps there weren't so many requests for White Collar as for, say, Boardwalk Empire?

In any case, it's lovely to be back with Neal and Mozzie, Peter and Elizabeth -- and finally, some more Satchmo! I've said this before, but this series shows NYC the most luxe and glamorous place to live and work. I love entering it again. :) Living here is is not the same as this show, needless to say.

The opening of the first episode involves a small plane my dad would have loved, and certainly could have piloted, and even owned. The episode's plot was a twisty one, exactly what one would hope for a season's first episode. The showrunners are continuing to build on strength and charm of the previous seasons* by foregrounding the ensemble character of the show. None of the protagonists, primaries or secondaries, are strong enough to carry a show alone. But all of them playing off each other in the milieu of the frothy escapism that White Collar is what works the show's charm. It's not often you get that as successfully as in White Collar (why yes, Hell on Wheels, I look at you, you wooden mess you -- also, Sherlock writers? check how they do codes right on White Collar).

So I got all wired up after long talk-meet with -- not Editor -- Publisher. It was all good, but whew, these things put my mind in knots and take my feets off ye olde ground! Some Neal and Mozzie and Peter and Elizabeth were just what I needed to get back down to earth. Besides, as has been the case for every sky spectacle this year, I was not able to view the Transit of Venus due to cloud pile-up  -- though many viewers did head for the western edge of our island, particularly the High Line Park, to see what they could see.

And now I'm missing Deborah Harkness at the Algonquin, but that's OK. I'm pretty worn out. And still haven't had dinner.**



-------------------------


* Season 4 of White Collar debuts in July.


** Had dinner now.

No comments: