LINES OF THE DAY

". . . But the past does not exist independently from the present. Indeed, the past is only past because there is a present, just as I can point to something over there only because I am here. But nothing is inherently over there or here. In that sense, the past has no content. The past -- or more accurately, pastness -- is a position. Thus, in no way can we identify the past as past." p. 15

". . . But we may want to keep in mind that deeds and words are not as distinguishable as often we presume. History does not belong only to its narrators, professional or amateur. While some of us debate what history is or was, others take it into their own hands." p. 153

Silencing the Past: Power and the Production of History (1995) by Michel-Rolph Trouillot

Monday, June 17, 2013

James Frain and The White Queen


The first of the 10 episode White Queen adaptation of Phillipa Gregory's historical romance novel series, set during the War of the Roses, told from the women's perspective, aired last night on BBC1. It's  reviewed here. At some point, from what I understand, White Queen will be shown in the U.S.

The White Queen as television has face I love to look at, James Frain, who plays Lord Warwick, the King Maker. Frain was in The Tudors, True Blood and some other things.



2 comments:

Sarah Johnson said...

I'll be watching this in August in the US, despite the mixed to negative reviews the first episode has gotten. Never did see the Tudors (I'm not a big TV watcher in general) but since I've read nearly all of these books - thanks to review assignments - I'm curious to decide for myself.

Foxessa said...

I'm deeply curious myself, to see how they handle it.

Love, C.