LINES OF THE DAY

". . . But the past does not exist independently from the present. Indeed, the past is only past because there is a present, just as I can point to something over there only because I am here. But nothing is inherently over there or here. In that sense, the past has no content. The past -- or more accurately, pastness -- is a position. Thus, in no way can we identify the past as past." p. 15

". . . But we may want to keep in mind that deeds and words are not as distinguishable as often we presume. History does not belong only to its narrators, professional or amateur. While some of us debate what history is or was, others take it into their own hands." p. 153

Silencing the Past: Power and the Production of History (1995) by Michel-Rolph Trouillot

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

I Just Have to Say That I'm Currently Suffering

Unadulterated happiness and content. Both my body and mind are unusually relaxed. Last night, later, after dinner, El V and I went to the corner bar to have a pint of the seasonal pumpkin ale they are featuring this month, which was very good. We talked about what I've been up to with the book while he's been too otherwise occupied these last weeks. He loves where I going!

Today I made excellent progress (at least it feels that I did) on the new first chapter I'm writing for the book. Then, outside, the temperature is as perfect as it can be -- just between warm and cool. Everything is autumnally pretty. The traffic wasn't so great. I stumbled upon one those unexpected quarter percent off a purchase of $100 or more that J. Peterson throws randomly up on the web, and was able to order el V a duster!

AND -- the first breakthrough in a malaria vaccine was announced today! Yes, the cost may well be prohibitive (people all over the U.S. are noticing shortages of their prescription drugs these days, as well as the prices soaring -- I am very worried about diabetics -- the hahahahaha health in$urance companie$ are lobbying to raise their premiums again this year -- cost$ from 20% increa$e$ to even 52% in one case and 56% in another!)

Yes, in the meantime helicopters swarm endlessly over our neighborhood, keeping an eye on the Occupation ... why should they when they and Goldman Sachs etc. sit with the cops in their surveillance bunker down there with thousands of cameras all over the place, but there ya go.

But me, in the meantime, I am savoring a perfectly happy and calm day.

1 comment:

T. said...

Lovely, and lovely again.

Glad to hear this calm tone in your writing.

(And was just wondering myself, tonight, about pumpkin ale! At a pub I opted instead for a hard cider, which was a disappointment: weak, anemic, lacking any body or bite. You made the better choice, obviously!)