LINES OF THE DAY

". . . But the past does not exist independently from the present. Indeed, the past is only past because there is a present, just as I can point to something over there only because I am here. But nothing is inherently over there or here. In that sense, the past has no content. The past -- or more accurately, pastness -- is a position. Thus, in no way can we identify the past as past." p. 15

". . . But we may want to keep in mind that deeds and words are not as distinguishable as often we presume. History does not belong only to its narrators, professional or amateur. While some of us debate what history is or was, others take it into their own hands." p. 153

Silencing the Past: Power and the Production of History (1995) by Michel-Rolph Trouillot

Monday, November 11, 2013

Went With Da Wind! Cue the Sound Track

Things we watch when we are too sick to do anything at all.*

In honor of Margaret Mitchell's 113th birthday on November 8th, 1900, we bring you ... Da Dah Da DAH! Carol Burnett as Miz Scarlett and Da Dah Da DAH EVEN BETTER IF THAT IS POSSIBLE! Dinah Shore as Miz Melody.**

Part One:



Second part picks up here -- be sure to catch the dress:



-------------------

*  My ribs hurt from coughing so much. It feels as though I have broken a couple -- which, I have not, of course.  The rest of me is just as much a misery.  Watching these Carol Burnett satires of Gone With the Wind still made me laugh, which then made me hurt and cough more, which made me hurt more.  Laughing, however, was worth it.

**  The names have been changed slightly.  I can't hear well enough with this cold muffling over my audio receptors, so I can't tell if it's really Miz Tartlett or just my own wishes.

No comments: