LINES OF THE DAY

". . . But the past does not exist independently from the present. Indeed, the past is only past because there is a present, just as I can point to something over there only because I am here. But nothing is inherently over there or here. In that sense, the past has no content. The past -- or more accurately, pastness -- is a position. Thus, in no way can we identify the past as past." p. 15

". . . But we may want to keep in mind that deeds and words are not as distinguishable as often we presume. History does not belong only to its narrators, professional or amateur. While some of us debate what history is or was, others take it into their own hands." p. 153

Silencing the Past: Power and the Production of History (1995) by Michel-Rolph Trouillot

Sunday, August 11, 2013

I Lived There; And There; And There, Other Places and Here Too

I moved to Albuquerque in the first year of my first adult decade, and stayed until that initial adulthood turned into what should have been the opening of my maturity (it wasn't though -- alas, I matured late ....)

In connection with the final season of Breaking Bad* (a series for which the numbers of non-interested viewers barely break into double digits, and among which I am one), The New Yorker has run an accolade to the city and the state here.

Yes, I miss New Mexico sometimes, because I'm been among the U.S. population attracted to the place for the reasons so many others are, as quoted in the New Yorker article:

Early on, New Mexico’s allure was its exoticism, a patch of America that didn’t feel American.

Which is why, like I did with Albuquerque, I love -- and fear -- New Orleans, why I feel so at home in the Caribbean, particularly the Spanish speaking Caribbean (for which latter I can particularly thank the Albuquerque decade, in which Spanish became a natural language, not a 'foreign' language), and love Europe and South America.  It's also why I love whole parts of the South, starting with the Chesapeake's English Eastern Shore.

















-------------------------

*  The article confirms that the tax incentives New Mexico provides is likely the reason the Longmire series is shot there instead of Wyoming, where it supposedly is located.

No comments: