LINES OF THE DAY

". . . But the past does not exist independently from the present. Indeed, the past is only past because there is a present, just as I can point to something over there only because I am here. But nothing is inherently over there or here. In that sense, the past has no content. The past -- or more accurately, pastness -- is a position. Thus, in no way can we identify the past as past." p. 15

". . . But we may want to keep in mind that deeds and words are not as distinguishable as often we presume. History does not belong only to its narrators, professional or amateur. While some of us debate what history is or was, others take it into their own hands." p. 153

Silencing the Past: Power and the Production of History (1995) by Michel-Rolph Trouillot

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

*Scandal in Belgravia*

I was able to watch it last night, streaming from PBS. It was very good.

It took me a while through the first three episodes broadcast last year to appreciate this updated-to-digital age Holmes, but when I got there it was a three point landing. Most of all it took some time for the Holmes-Watson relationship to shake out to my satisfaction. I like this Watson very much indeed.

I loved particularly seeing Watson socking it to Holmes in this episode. And the two of them belly laughing in Buckingham, because, you know, it was all really that absurd! Most of all I loved that the central section of the episode takes place during Christmas -- thinking of the Jeremy Brett Christmas episode, "The Blue Carbuncle," which I've so loved. I loved that Molly is much prettier without cosmetics and dressed up than when she resorts to them -- and that Holmes realized he'd gratuitously hurt someone who has never hurt others.

What I am not loving is this Moriarty.

1 comment:

Arun said...

Nice review of 'A Scandal in Belgravia'. I totally agree with your opinion about this version of Moriarty.

For a different look at this episode, check out my review .

Cheers!