LINES OF THE DAY

". . . But the past does not exist independently from the present. Indeed, the past is only past because there is a present, just as I can point to something over there only because I am here. But nothing is inherently over there or here. In that sense, the past has no content. The past -- or more accurately, pastness -- is a position. Thus, in no way can we identify the past as past." p. 15

". . . But we may want to keep in mind that deeds and words are not as distinguishable as often we presume. History does not belong only to its narrators, professional or amateur. While some of us debate what history is or was, others take it into their own hands." p. 153

Silencing the Past: Power and the Production of History (1995) by Michel-Rolph Trouillot

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Regarding Reviews, Phones, Library Cards, Foods & Concerts

Review of, and excerpts from:

New Orleans: What Can't Be Lost: 88 Stories and Traditions from the Sacred City

Lee Barclay, Editor; Photographs by Christopher Porché West
________________________

Yesterday got a card for the public library, which took about 2 seconds.  It's a lovely facility.

Today we got the Verizon phone service switch over accomplished finally. It took over an hour for that to get in place, plus the new phones. Of course they were not able to import the contacts from the old Nokia phone to this, the simplest phone Verizon offers (no iPhones or SmartPhones for the likes of us, particularly since we have no plans in the near future for twitting).
I had finally kind of figured out how the old one worked, and now I have this to do all over again. And then, if we decided to go back to T-Mobile next year, it will have to done all over yet another time. This is even worse than getting a new camera. Plus, this phone haz camera o noes!  I hate this phone.  I hate all these phones. I was born without phone genes.  I also hate it that I can't get my camera's software to download to this computer.  What is the problem?

After visiting the post office this AM, I stopped at the Dollar Store to pick up a few items like a whisk, place mats, cutting boards and so on. I had to get more storage containers. A big dinner was held at the Customs House last evening, with enormous amounts of very good food. We were all encouraged to take as much of it home as we could. So we did, including the most delicious key lime pie. Evidently there are many events of this nature held there, so we are now prepared to glean.

The poster for el V's introduction gig to Washington College and the town got delivered today, along with the engraved invitations >!< Both are very handsome. The reading and playing part is followed by a dinner at the house of the College president. I really don't have anything to wear to that, and no way to procure anything either, as there is nowhere here to shop for such things. Well, well, well. My faithful, very large India silk shawl, with silver and gold woven into the silk, will have to play a very large role.

2 comments:

K. said...

I have no doubt the shawl will contribute to a breath-taking role!

Foxessa said...

Interestingly, examining my closet, as yet another invitation a local formal event has been achieved, I realized that I had included a ruffled silk Ann Taylor top, and a raglan-sleeved black sweater trimmed with glossies and sparklies. I may be able to Make Do!

But I think I'm going back to NYC for a day right before all this, so maybe I can bring or buy something too. At least get a haircut!

Love, C.