LINES OF THE DAY

". . . But the past does not exist independently from the present. Indeed, the past is only past because there is a present, just as I can point to something over there only because I am here. But nothing is inherently over there or here. In that sense, the past has no content. The past -- or more accurately, pastness -- is a position. Thus, in no way can we identify the past as past." p. 15

". . . But we may want to keep in mind that deeds and words are not as distinguishable as often we presume. History does not belong only to its narrators, professional or amateur. While some of us debate what history is or was, others take it into their own hands." p. 153

Silencing the Past: Power and the Production of History (1995) by Michel-Rolph Trouillot

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Happy International Women's Day!

In observance of International Women's Day Vaquero sent me a pome:

i would not be happy sending e-mails
without the presence of the female
i could not stir from dreaming deep
without a spoon to make me sleep
dear C, i am inspired to say
happy motherfucking women's day!

Hee!

This last week was extraordinarly busy. Not a single night at home except Monday, because it was a snow day (we had a blizzard here). It was also extraordinary in terms of weather then, and temperatures. One morning it was 11 degrees when I woke up. Yesterday it was 70.

Woo.

I'm glad that's over. Today we just took it easy. I fixed a very late but huge brunch. Then we went shopping for new sneakers, t-shirts and few other sundries.

The number of dead stores grows every day. Particularly all the small boutiques. How they ever made the kind of rents they were paying before the economic catastrophe could no longer be denied, I could never figure out before. But now, there evidently is no way. Restaurants that were always packed 7 days a week -- I walk past them on a Thursday or Friday night and there's nobody in them. Yet around here, commercial rents for this footage is not falling, nor are the prices of clothes or food, either. There are still so many young Japanese women coming to NYC with all their income presumably disposable the designer label places stay open. With the good weather and warm temperatures this weekend, my neighborhood was a gridlocked as it ever has been. Even the restaurants were full. But at night, things get very quiet, very soon, even on the weekends.

A sign of the times: I was buying coffee at the usual coffee place for Vaquero Thursday. It was about 4:30 pm. Usually, if you go into Augie's after 11 am all their muffins, scones and cookies are gone. I noticed while the beans were grinding that all the platters and jars were almost still full of the high sugar snacks. Either not that many people are going to work these days or people have cut back their habit of 2 - 3 times a day getting 5 dollar coffee plus 3 dollar snack. Of course, street traffic is way down too, as the neighborhood was without the kind of tourist trade it's been groaning under for so long 24/7.

I wonder if the nabe will revert to what it was like when I first moved here, with restaurants closed on Monday. I've seen several stores not open here now on Mondays.

We shall see what spring brings.

4 comments:

Frank Partisan said...

Really good post. Happy Women's Day.

In Minneapolis there has been cuts in healthcare staffing as well. That used to be unheard of.

Blogrolling has turned into an evil paysite. In addition they added popups. I'm transferring all the links I had to Blogger.

Foxessa said...

Don't even start me on what Bloomberg is doing with health care and libraries and education here. Woo,do the teachers union hate him! He is most concerned with propping up the real estate industry that did so much to destroy this nation and the economy already. That mess he got into with Carol Kennedy was part of it. That ramming of no term limits into us NYers, when we voted against unlimited terms twice in a referendum is splashing back on him. He forgot, evidently, that he still has to win an election, term limits or not.

What do you mean about blogrolling is a paysite? I go to the blogs of my amigas and compañeros and don't get adds, unless their place already have some, because that's part of where they chose to blog.

But please, please, please inform me with more specific info, because I don't know!

Love, C.

Graeme said...

Crap, I forgot to wish you a happy Women's day, but, for what it's worth: Happy Women's Day!

Foxessa said...

Graeme -- Thank you!

So few even noticed International Women's Day this year. I guess feminist principles have succeeded and we now live in a post-feminist world, just as we live in a post racist world.

Ha.

Love, C.