LINES OF THE DAY

". . . But the past does not exist independently from the present. Indeed, the past is only past because there is a present, just as I can point to something over there only because I am here. But nothing is inherently over there or here. In that sense, the past has no content. The past -- or more accurately, pastness -- is a position. Thus, in no way can we identify the past as past." p. 15

". . . But we may want to keep in mind that deeds and words are not as distinguishable as often we presume. History does not belong only to its narrators, professional or amateur. While some of us debate what history is or was, others take it into their own hands." p. 153

Silencing the Past: Power and the Production of History (1995) by Michel-Rolph Trouillot

Sunday, June 15, 2008

A Terrific Music Source Site

Go here.

I almost got to see the movie, Mongol. I gotta get there real soon because it's playing on only one screen here, and I don't think it's been released anywhere else here yet. This is one of those big screeen action films that I want to see on a movie theater sized screen. An old fashioned adventure movie with lots of horses and horseback warriors and vistas.

Obama's been filling sandbags. The bombombomb guy can't, of course, coz, he's too old, and it wouldn't be fair to ask him to.

5 comments:

Frank Partisan said...

Mongol is the best movie I've seen this year.

K. said...

Greetings from Ireland!

I'm going to hazard a guess here, and say that if Mongol is on one screen in NYC, then it's on zero screens anywhere else outside of Ulan Bator!

Foxessa said...

Greetings back at you, Irish!

Mongol played very well last year in Europe. It was nominated for the Best Foreign Film Oscar, and it's won some other awards in Asia and Europe.

It's part one of either a duology or a trilogy, I'm not exactly clear on which.

Love, C.

Foxessa said...

Ren -- Hah! I see by your blog that you have not only seen Mongol but reviewed it.

Well, I will get there this week.

I hope it is still there. I haven't checked. Eeek.

Love, C.

Frank Partisan said...

I go to screenings, and see movies before they are out.

Mongol is a trilogy.

Read Louis Proyect's review at his blog.