LINES OF THE DAY

". . . But the past does not exist independently from the present. Indeed, the past is only past because there is a present, just as I can point to something over there only because I am here. But nothing is inherently over there or here. In that sense, the past has no content. The past -- or more accurately, pastness -- is a position. Thus, in no way can we identify the past as past." p. 15

". . . But we may want to keep in mind that deeds and words are not as distinguishable as often we presume. History does not belong only to its narrators, professional or amateur. While some of us debate what history is or was, others take it into their own hands." p. 153

Silencing the Past: Power and the Production of History (1995) by Michel-Rolph Trouillot

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Yay NOT!

It's worse even than usual because it's also Saturday. The out-of-towners who have beer for breakfast arrived last night already, planning to drink their way through to Sunday morning. The annual St. Patrick's nutzoid drunken, howling, spewing, peeing mob scene -- and parade, which as of 2012, STILL bars LGT from marching -- while in the state of NY gay people have all the same rights as everyone else, including marriage, and nationally gays can serve openly in the military.


We're having dinner with friends tonight and deliberately chose Chinatown because we hoped maybe the wee leprechauns will not be finding attraction for that part of the city, as well as that part of the city being 100% disinterested in leprechauns.

It's at least as bad from what I understand in Boston, Chicago and I know how terrifying this day can be in New Orleans.  My house there, so close to the 'traditional, historic Parasol's,' that at best holds may 70 - 100 people, was entirely engulfed by an almost all young white male mob of more than a thousand, drunk out of its mind.  I was terrified.  El V wasn't even there, being away at some conference gig or other.

Why does this country do holidays so very badly?

However, so this entry isn't all bitter herbs and rue, something kind of cool happened in Morton Williams while we were getting groceries. A young guy, who my brain immediately processed as Puerto Rican or Dominican, though I could be so wrong about that, noticed my duster coat. He just stops, eyes wide, "That's a cowboy coat!"

He continues with, "Man, I just love westerns. I love John Wayne." He names the titles of a lot of John Wayne films.

I say, "That's the great thing about John Wayne -- you never run out of John Wayne movies to watch."

He goes, "It's my dad, man. He loved those cowboy movies."

I say, "My dad too. He raised all his kids to be cowboys."

He goes, "O wow, that's soooooooooo cool!"

This brief encounter was gratifying to us both. :)

1 comment:

T. said...

I love this story about your cowboy coat!