LINES OF THE DAY

". . . But the past does not exist independently from the present. Indeed, the past is only past because there is a present, just as I can point to something over there only because I am here. But nothing is inherently over there or here. In that sense, the past has no content. The past -- or more accurately, pastness -- is a position. Thus, in no way can we identify the past as past." p. 15

". . . But we may want to keep in mind that deeds and words are not as distinguishable as often we presume. History does not belong only to its narrators, professional or amateur. While some of us debate what history is or was, others take it into their own hands." p. 153

Silencing the Past: Power and the Production of History (1995) by Michel-Rolph Trouillot

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Heat Crisis - Day 4

I had to go out and do things. Wore my stetson Panama hat and a sweat head band and was glad I did.

It broke 100 degrees again. Parts of NYC have lost power.  You see ConEd trucks everywhere in the streets and the heroic ConEd guys working to keep us connected.

Nevertheless the designer label stores and restaurants have their doors and windows wide open, pouring frigid air into the sidewalks and streets -- the sidewalks and streets almost as empty as the stores and restaurants.  This is against the law.  You go in and tell them and they miraculously no longer speak or HEAR in any language.  They will lie in your face: "There is no law against this.  There is no door open.  There is no air conditioning here."  The cops?  They say, "That's an obsession of yours."  I want those people put up against the wall and shot.

Even the library was nearly empty. Nobody wants to be on the streets. I feel pretty sick myself, even though I kept drinking water. I think it is the air quality.

Tomorrow's el V's birthday. He says too much work to do yet tomorrow night to do anything special. Eat at home, he sez. The party will be in New Orleans, he sez.  I hope the heat doesn't further break the electrical grid and keep us from taking off.

OK.  I feel somewhat less cranky and sick.  I ate my first ice cream of 2010.  I took a bath and washed my hair.  Letting it air dry -- not gonna turn on a hair dryer today!  I have the floor fan on, but am able to leave the a/c/ off for a while longer while the hair dries, a natural cooling move.

2 comments:

K. said...

"Wore my stetson Panama hat and a sweat head band and was glad I did"

And I'll bet you looked great, too!

Why are the stores air conditioning Manhattan?

Foxessa said...

Honey, I have no idea, though I've been asking this question for years.

The best explanation I've found for why the stores and restaurants do it is that open doors and windows are supposed to make the entry more attractive and welcoming to potential customers and diners. But I don't think so.

As for the huge public buildings and business towers? The only explanation they give is that its too cold so they open the big doors. It's too much trouble and time to re-program the computer controlled ventilation systems for these buildings, which then means, as before-mentioned, cooling and heating vast acres of empty space.

Love, C.