- prevent further use of those destructive to life dispersants;
- commandeer in whatever manner the 25 oil tankers that BP owns and is using to carry oil rather than work on clean up -- in other words get as many tanker ships into the area to siphon up the oil;
- fire Ken Salazar, who has always been an active proponent, i.e. paid by Big Oil, for deep water drilling;
- halt immediately any issuance of new deep water drilling permits;
- send out knowledgable teams answerable directly to the Oval Office to inspect every goddamned deep (or shallow) water operation in the Gulf and off our coasts, from Hawai'i and Alaska to Maine (are there any off Maine?);
- there is one more thing that the POTUS and feds could have done, and should have done, from day one: insist that BP start cutting pressure wells immediately, while yes, trying the other things that in all reality, had little hope of working at that depth.
However, all those Big Oil Bidness Friendlies and Cohorts that Cheney etc. have in place in the government, they should have known. But! Wait! They wouldn't open their mouths about such things because it would cost BP money (and BP has been busy limiting liabilities via their lobbyists and lawyers as their perspective on dealing with the Criminal Crisis) -- and because they probably didn't know either, as their competency for the positions likely rival Heck of a Job Brownie's.
The best scenario, according to a notable geobiologist we met last night uptown at the weekly Bobby Senabría gig, is that if nothing more happens, and the pressure wells get operational, it will be at least a century for the wetlands presently destroyed by the BP Oil Blowout Crime to recover.
Here in Casa C'nN, we have taken to referring to the Big Oil transnationals as what they are in reality: the Eco Mafia Families.