LINES OF THE DAY

". . . But the past does not exist independently from the present. Indeed, the past is only past because there is a present, just as I can point to something over there only because I am here. But nothing is inherently over there or here. In that sense, the past has no content. The past -- or more accurately, pastness -- is a position. Thus, in no way can we identify the past as past." p. 15

". . . But we may want to keep in mind that deeds and words are not as distinguishable as often we presume. History does not belong only to its narrators, professional or amateur. While some of us debate what history is or was, others take it into their own hands." p. 153

Silencing the Past: Power and the Production of History (1995) by Michel-Rolph Trouillot

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Houston iFest, Plus Postmambosim

Vaquero, he goes there, yes!  Sings, plays guitar, reads and signs books, plus a bit of Postmamboism

Houston and me have always gotten along well. Next Friday (Apr 16) at 7 p.m. I'll be doing a book reading / signing with some songs at Sig's Lagoon,  3710 Main, Houston, TX. http://www.sigslagoon.com/events/?event_id=8

Then at 10:30 that same night, I move next door to Shoeshine Charlie's Big Top Lounge for a full set of music by me and my guitar.

The next two days, Saturday and Sunday, I'll be appearing at Houston's iFest -- a Texas-size two-weekend outdoor world music festival. http://www.ifest.org/complete-schedule/ I'll be at 4:30 Saturday (17) at the H-E-B cultural stage, dropping some Postmamboism and maybe playing a little, and will also do a book signing. Later that afternoon, when I'm off duty, three of my faves are up against each other on three different stages:

Joe Ely, Brave Combo, and Bachata Roja Legends, so I'll have to deal it out carefully. The following day (18) i'm back at the H-E-B stage at 2:30.

That day's attractions include Mighty Diamonds, Eddie Palmieri, New Orleans  rapper Truth Universal, and Marcia Ball.

(The weekend after is ridiculous -- the fest closes with King Sunny and P-Funk -- but I'll be back in Noo Yawk.)

More about San Francisco soon, but it's gonna be special.
And the new Postmamboism T-shirts really really are coming, soon . . .

1 comment:

K. said...

I'm glad that somebody gets along with that pit. If the Mighty Diamonds are half as good as they were 27 yrs ago, that will be a hell of a show. They had classic Motown moves down pat, plus those harmonies. Goin' down to Reggae Street!