LINES OF THE DAY

". . . But the past does not exist independently from the present. Indeed, the past is only past because there is a present, just as I can point to something over there only because I am here. But nothing is inherently over there or here. In that sense, the past has no content. The past -- or more accurately, pastness -- is a position. Thus, in no way can we identify the past as past." p. 15

". . . But we may want to keep in mind that deeds and words are not as distinguishable as often we presume. History does not belong only to its narrators, professional or amateur. While some of us debate what history is or was, others take it into their own hands." p. 153

Silencing the Past: Power and the Production of History (1995) by Michel-Rolph Trouillot

Monday, December 8, 2008

Homage to Citizen K

Who posts weekly comix updates.

Here's a different riff:

An interview with "Mutts" cartoonist, Patrick McDonnell, commenting that this week " McDonnell's cartoon critters turn their attention to a future shelter-dog owner: President-elect Barack Obama. Starting with today's "Yesh we can!" strip, "Mutts" spends the next six days whimsically playing with political language in the name of pet rescue."

He seldom comments on politics, but he felt this was "a natural.'

Though, again, I am disturbed and frustrated that people who one expects to be more competent than this don't perform the slightest bit of fact checking before sounding off -- for it McDonnell had done so, if the interviewer had done so, they'd have know that adopting a 'mutt' isn't so straight- forward for the Obamas, as Malia has allergies, and they have to find a hypno-allergenic animal. But no one mentions this, they merely gush. Gushing without facts doesn't do shelter animals any service.

4 comments:

K. said...

Thanks for nod! I'll try to pick up the pace, too!

I did like the Lincoln quote in the interview:

"I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it."

Not a bad benchmark.

Frank Partisan said...

K's blog is one of my favorites.

I have a friend who writes for DC Comics. He has written for Superman and Scooby Doo pays the rent. He can't do anything radical. It's like driving a bus, you have to return it to the garage at the end of the day.

K. said...

Thanks, Ren!

My sons would give you a full-on salaam. To their generation, knowing someone who writes for DC Comics is like one of us knowing someone who works for The Beatles.

Foxessa said...

I know loads of people who write for comix, including Neil Gaiman and many many more.

I met those DC guys on many occasions too, when I was younger, and one of my friends who worked at DC kept trying to get me to try and write for them, then later for Marvel, and then, when he went to Vertigo, for them.

I just don't have what it takes to write comix. But he sure was determined that I would!

I still miss him so much. He developed a terrible brain tumor, and it killed him, after a very prolonged, painful, constantly debilitating illness and hospitalization and round after round of experimental treatments.

Love, C.