LINES OF THE DAY

". . . But the past does not exist independently from the present. Indeed, the past is only past because there is a present, just as I can point to something over there only because I am here. But nothing is inherently over there or here. In that sense, the past has no content. The past -- or more accurately, pastness -- is a position. Thus, in no way can we identify the past as past." p. 15

". . . But we may want to keep in mind that deeds and words are not as distinguishable as often we presume. History does not belong only to its narrators, professional or amateur. While some of us debate what history is or was, others take it into their own hands." p. 153

Silencing the Past: Power and the Production of History (1995) by Michel-Rolph Trouillot

Friday, February 29, 2008

Jimmy Cliff - Bob Marley

For a discussion of Jimmy Cliff - Bob Marley you may not have encountered before, try Bluegum.

2 comments:

Frank Partisan said...

The post was about jimmy Cliff, that I read.

I listened to the LP "The Harder They Come" when it was new so much, it died of needle scratches.

Foxessa said...

You're right. BlinkBlinkBlink. This flu is worse than I realized.

I'll fix that.

I KNEW that too, since "The Harder They Come is great. But she did talk about Marley, and I was thinking of my friend who is deeply into his book about Marley and Reggae and the politics of resistence.

Love, C.